January 27, 2005

Books to Read (Strategy)

Over the past year or so, Thimmaiah Chendrimada has been collecting a list of books that MBAs should read. Quite a few of them don't require an MBA to understand. Over the next week or so, I will be posting books that are eminiently readable.

Here is a list of books on Strategy. This list was compiled based on inputs provided by Prof. Aks Zaheer. Will be listing books on Statistics, Entrepreneurship, Management of Organizations, Accounting and Finance over the next few days.

Strategy Essentials:
  • Competitive Strategy, Michael Porter
  • Competitive Advantage, Michael Porter
  • The Competitive Advantage of Nations, Michael Porter
  • Competing for the Future, Gary Hamel and CK Prahalad
  • Gaining & Sustaining Competitive Advantage, Jay Barney

Competitive Interaction and Game Theory:
  • Coopetition, Adam Brandenburger and Barry Nalebuff
  • Thinking Strategically, Avinash Dixit and Barry Nalebuff

Global Strategy:
  • The Borderless World, Kenichi Ohmae
  • Managing Across Borders: The Transnational Solution, Chris Bartlett & Sumantra Ghoshal

Strategy and the Internet:
  • Information Rules, Shapiro and Hal Varian
  • Competing in the Age of Digital Convergence, D. Yoffie

Strategy Implementation:
  • Corporate Culture & Leadership, Ed Schein

Knowledge Management:
  • The Knowledge Creating Company, I. Nonaka & H. Takeuchi

Strategic Planning:
  • The Rise and Fall of Strategic Planning, Henry Mintzberg

Strategic Alliances:
  • Alliance Advantage, Gary Hamel and Yves Doz

Mergers and Acquisitions:
  • Managing the Acquisition Process, Philippe Haspeslagh and David Jemison

Trust and Networks:
  • Structural Holes, Ronald Burt
  • Trust in Organizations, Roderick Kramer

Other Classics:
  • My Years with General Motors, Alfred P. Sloan
  • The Art of War, Sun Tzu
  • Strategy and Structure, Alfred D. Chandler

12 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Watziznem said...

Dude, are you telling me you read all of them, apart from your regular course material??? Seriously, that's an impressive list!

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Dhar said...

Hey Chand...

Had I managed to read even 50% of them, I would have been a happy man! These are books which I will slowly read over a period of 1-2 years. But now that placements are over, I am slowly catching up on my reading. ;-)

Will be adding a few more over the next few days. If you people at IIM-A have some books to suggest, do lemme know.

Cheers,
D.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Watziznem said...

Probably we get to read these kind of books in the second year. Right now, only basic textbooks like Brealy & Myers, Kotler etc etc.

Btw, now that you are placed, how about resurrecting the Inquizitive series? :) Though my hit rate is only 0-10%, the questions were great fun!

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Dhar said...

Chand Man...

Good idea. Will certainly start quizzes on the blog in a couple of days!

Cheers,
D.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Suhit Anantula said...

Sumit:

This is a cool list.

You guys did miss "The Mind of a Strategist" Ohmae and "Managing for Results" by Drucker which is considered the first book on Strategy.

Looking forward to the other posts. I did blog about the post on my blog.

http://aussiemba.blogspot.com/2005/01/books-on-strategy.html

Suhit.

 
At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dhar and all you ISB Buddies....
if you have not read Besanko's Economics of Startegy you would never appreciate strategy.Mind blowing....crystal clear
Anonymous Bum

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Neel said...

Hi Dhar,

I am Neel shah, currently stduying in Monash Universtiy in Melbourne/Australia. I found you blog page when i was surfeing on Rediff serch enigine. its really bit interesting stuff you are doing.

By the way i am doing my Maters of International Business and its been great exp. i am bascially from India/Gujarat here based in Melbourne since 2004.

 
At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Lindsay Lohan said...

best

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Cat said...

best

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Lingeries said...

best

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Cruise said...

best

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger dghnfgj said...

If I were gold für wow a boy again,world of warcraft gold I would practice perseverance wow gold cheap more often,maple meso and never give up a thing because it was or inconvenient. If we want light,Maple Story Account we must conquer darkness. Perseverance can sometimes equal genius in its results.wow gold kaufen “There are only two creatures,”cheap maplestory mesos syas a proverb, “who can surmount the pyramids—the eagle and the snail.” If I were a boy again,wow geld I would school myself into a habit of attention;maple mesos I would let nothing come between me and the subject in hand.maple story power leveling I would remember that a good skater never tries to skate in two directions at once.billig wow gold The habit of attention becomes part of our life, if we begain early enough. I often hear grown up people say maple story items“ I could not fix my attention on the sermon or book, although I wished to do so” , wow powerlevelingand the reason is, the habit was not formed in youth. If I were to live my life over again,wow leveling I would pay more attention to the cultivation of the memory. I would strengthen that faculty by every possible means,wow power leveling and on every possible occasion.maplestory powerleveling It takes a little hard work at first to remember things accurately;cheap archlord gold but memory soon helps itself, and gives very little trouble. It only needs early cultivation to become a power.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home