August 30, 2005

Could Not Authenticate to Server

For the first few days after the launch of Google Talk, I had a wierd problem. I could log into GTalk from office but not from home. Whenever I tried from the laptop at home, Google Talk would give the error message "Could Not Authenticate to Server".

What made it really strange was the fact that the office laptop was behind a firewall/proxy combo while the home laptop was directly connected to the Net. Initially I thought the Google servers may be overloaded (stupid of me, I know) and therefore didn't give it much thought. After a couple of days, I realized something was funny.

After much head scratching, I discovered the problem. My computer was back dated by an year (some err... umm... licensing issues you see...) and this was causing the barf-up. By setting the correct date and time, I was able to immediately login.

Why would Google Talk need a correct date/time on my laptop, I dont know. Any answers?

4 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Blogger bhavik said...

I had the same problem with Google Talk, i think it keeps a log of chats, thats why it needs the accurate time and date stamp...else, for billing purposes for the paid for service....either way, mine is working now...

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Piyush said...

Same problem with me. It was working in office but not at home but my date thing was ok. I restarted my machine a couple of times, no help!

Then I first started the Gmail Notifier, and then Google Talk, and it worked fine.

Now, it just works fine even without the notifier. I am still surprised!!

Even wrote to Google about this problem, no help from there too.

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, my date/time is ok, notifier works without problems, but I can't connect, tried many times :(

 
At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Use this page it will solve your problem.

http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=32954

 

Post a Comment

<< Home